Emergency Orthodontist — Milton, MA
Effective Care in Times of Crisis
If you have traditional metal braces, clear aligners or are wearing another form of orthodontics, you’ll want to have an orthodontist in Milton whom you can trust to provide timely care, should you ever experience an emergency. From broken brackets and loose wires to intense pain or a lost piece of an appliance, these are common problems that are known to happen from time to time. Here at Milton Orthodontics, Dr. Sherman and his team are ready to jump into action should a situation arise. To learn more about what you can do to mitigate these problems at home while waiting to see our team, review the following information and contact us should you experience an orthodontic emergency.
Why Choose Milton Orthodontics for Emergency Orthodontic Care?
- Friendly and Knowledgeable Orthodontists
- Same-Day Appointments Available
- Affordable Financing Available
What to Do in an Orthodontic Emergency
- Call Our Office – The bottom line is that every orthodontic emergency is going to be different since everyone has a unique smile—however, there is one thing in common among them all, and that’s our team is only a phone call away! We’ll be able to assess the situation after you’ve explained things and provide you with some initial steps to take while you wait for your appointment, including rinsing your mouth with water and applying orthodontic wax. Over-the-counter pain relievers can also be used.
- Schedule An Appointment – If necessary, we’ll schedule you for a visit that very day, although sometimes the situation can wait until your next checkup.
- Get The Help You Need – Once seated, our priority becomes addressing any discomfort and getting to the bottom of what’s causing the issue. In some cases, a follow-up appointment may be necessary; we’re happy to get this set up for you!
The Most Common Orthodontic Emergencies
Orthodontic emergencies don’t always seem urgent, but it’s always best to contact us whenever you experience any type of issue or complication with your treatment—this is the only surefire way to prevent long-term issues with it! It’s also worth mentioning that many types of orthodontic emergencies can be handled over the phone, but some warrant professional assistance. Here’s a little more about some of the most common orthodontic emergencies that we see and how they’re typically handled:
Understanding the Cost of Orthodontic Emergencies
Simply put, fear of expensive treatment should never keep you from getting the urgent care that your smile needs. However, since no two orthodontic emergencies are exactly the same, you’ll need to come to visit us in order for us to provide you with an estimated cost of treatment. Upon arrival, we can begin our emergency exam, determine the source of the problem, and give you an idea of what you’ll need to pay. Our practice is thrilled to accept various insurance plans and offer additional means of affording emergency care, such as affordable financing through LendingPoint .
How to Prevent Orthodontic Emergencies
Knowing you have a trusted orthodontist ready to help in your time of need is reassuring; however, it’s even better if you know how to prevent these common orthodontic emergencies in the first place. To do this, you’ll need to:
- Maintain good oral hygiene by brushing your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time, as well as flossing daily and using mouthwash to rinse away any remaining debris or bacteria.
- Limit your intake of sugars and starches to minimize the potential risk for tooth decay and gum disease.
- Cease bad habits that can damage your teeth and appliances (i.e., smoking, eating ice cubes, chewing on pens and pencils, nail-biting).
- Never use your teeth as tools to open packages and containers.
- Avoid eating hard foods that can damage your braces (i.e., hard candy, hard bread, hard fruits and vegetables).
- Keep your follow-up appointments with Milton Orthodontics to ensure your braces are in good condition.
- Wear a custom-made mouthguard while playing contact sports.